That being said, I live in a household of politics divided, and would thus rather not talk about the issues of the day. Instead, I'd like to talk about moving forward, whether it be in writing or in life. My motto? Make every mistake going forward.
I'm a New Englander, which by definition means I drive way too much in the snow. Which means slipping, sliding and skidding, sometimes on the edge of control. What do you do then?
Well, let me tell you from experience that 'hit the brakes' usually isn't a great answer. You're way better off steering into the inertia, and either pausing a second… or hitting the gas. If you hit the gas, you might go flying off the road, you might break the skid and continue on your way, or you might do something in between those two extremes. But if you hit the brakes, you're probably going to wind up spinning in place.
Personally, I'd rather make a mistake going forward than keep spinning my wheels, going nowhere. When I'm faced with a choice, whether in my writing career or my life, I try to make the active decision. It's not always the right choice, but it's a choice, dang it.
Jonah Fairfax and Chelsea Swan, the protagonists in my latest Intrigue, Manhunt in the Wild West (Harlequin Intrigue 10/09), make mistakes in their quest to prove Fax's innocence and foil a horrifying terror plot in Bear Claw Creek, Colorado. . . but they make each of those mistakes going forward, trying new things and striving to change things around them.
So today, how about you challenge yourself, and take the risk of making a mistake while going forward. And if you feel like it, let me know how it goes. Or tell me about a recent forward-moving decision that worked…or didn't. Tell me--how did you hit the gas and power your way out of a skid?
Jessica Andersen
Dawnkeepers, coming in January from Signet Eclipse
Nightkeepers & Manhunt in the Wild West (both available now)