Parker Blue asks-- Who would you have killed in print?
My young adult urban fantasy, Bite Me, is out this month from Bell Bridge Books. In it, eighteen-year-old Valentine Shapiro got a raw deal in the parent lottery. Her father was part incubus demon, and her mother's never forgiven her for that. Thrown out of the house by her mother, Val does the only thing
that seems to make any sense—she takes aim at the town vampires, figuring a stake a day keeps the demon at bay. Soon enough, she finds herself deep in the underbelly of the city, discovering the secrets of the Demon Underground with the help of her faithful hellhound, Fang, and fighting to save those she loves. Whether they love her back or not.
When I was writing Bite Me, I was asked to contribute something to a charity auction on eBay benefiting a fellow author. So, I offered to have someone killed by a vampire in print--the person "killed" to be selected by the winner of the auction. I envisioned people wanting to see their boss bloodied, their mother-in-law murdered, or their ex exsanguinated. Instead, the winner of the auction-- Lorena Kott of
I didn't ask why. I assume it was because she wanted to see her name in print. At least I hope that's the reason. Anything else might be just a tad...disturbing. So, Lorena got her wish and my heroine, Val, trips over Lorena's dead body--literally--on the River Walk in
But the experience made me wonder. If someone else had won the auction, would they have chosen to see themselves killed as well? Or, would they have chosen to get revenge by killing a boss, a co-worker, a teacher, an ex? Maybe they'd have used it as a practical joke, to shock a friend or lover by seeing their death in print. Or maybe they'd have some totally weird, awesome, or creepy idea I haven't thought of.
If you had won the auction, who would you have chosen, and why? Post your answer here and whoever writes the most interesting comment (as determined by my entirely biased opinion, of course) by November 15 will win a copy of Bite Me signed by moi. Let the madness begin....