Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pamela Ford: What makes a soulmate?

A few days ago, the morning radio DJs were talking about soulmates. I soon gathered that the wife of one DJ (and mother of his three children) recently told him that he wasn't her soulmate. Ouch. As far as I could tell, it was because her definition of soulmate was different than his; she felt people could be soulmates with someone who wasn't a romantic interest.

That was news to me. I always thought soulmates were people whose souls were perfectly matched to one another, each other's second half, so to speak. Looking for clarification, I went to Wikipedia and read:
"Soulmate is a term sometimes used to designate someone with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, friendship, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin soul, which is though to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul."

Not that Wikipedia is the be-all and end-all of definitions, but the "or" in the first sentence makes it look like one's soulmate can be just about anyone – not simply a love interest. I'm struggling with that. In my mind, soulmates are supposed to have a romantic connection.

As a romance writer, my heroines always find their soulmates in the men they come to love. My current release, The Wedding Heiress (Harlequin Superromance, October '08) is about Delaney McBride, an upwardly mobile career woman who doesn't believe in happily ever after. But when she is forced to take over her great-aunt's wedding planning business, she finds true love (and her soulmate) waiting for her, along with a good dose of mayhem!

To read an excerpt, stop by my website
. But, before you click away, tell me what you think about soulmates. Do you believe in them? Do you agree with Wikipedia's definition? Have you found your soulmate? Do tell!

Pamela Ford