Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Karen Fox: Late Bloomer...

The minute I heard the title for Witch High, the story for "Late Bloomer" jumped into my head. Memories of those high school days came flooding back far more easily than I expected. Of course, I was one of those weirdos who actually liked school. I got good grades and participated in many extra-curricular activities. I actually stayed one semester more than I had to because I was having so much fun (and I wanted to graduate with my class).

Yep, that weird.

But that doesn't mean I didn't experience some of the same high school horrors that many of us did--the unrequited love for that guy sitting behind me in choir, the terminal shyness that made me blush every time a boy even talked to me, the agony of not going to the dance, the fear that I wouldn't have the answer when the teacher called on me.

My heroine in "Late Bloomer" experiences some of that and more. In a school specifically for educating witches on how to use their talents, she has no magickal ability. Sort of like being the only one in class with a horn growing out of your head. Naturally, she's picked on. She doesn't fit in and doesn't think she ever will. But she perseveres and makes friends and learns that sometimes the best way to fit in is to be yourself.Gee, wish I 'd known that decades ago.

What stories do you have to tell from high school? Your favorite moment? Your worst? Comment here until the end of October. We'll pick the one we like best and award a copy of Witch High, autographed by myself, Deb Dixon and Pam McCutcheon, to the winner.

Karen Fox. Visit her website.