Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ann Roth: Sisters- Good or Bad, We're Stuck With Them

My women's fiction novel, My Sisters, is out the first week of November, so I'm focused on sisters. There are so many aspects to the relationship between sisters. Over the next few weeks I'll be blogging around the 'Net about some of them. (You'll find a list of blog dates and links below.)

Sisters intrigue me, and not just because I am one. There are so many complexities to the relationship. Face it, we're born into the same family, offspring of the same mother and father. We can be as different as day and night, see the world from completely opposite angles, walk divergent paths. We might not be the best of friends, or even speak to each other. Yet our family connection links us together, especially during family crises. That old adage, "Blood is thicker than water?" It's real.

It certainly holds true for Margaret, Rose and Quincy, the three heroines in My Sisters. Talk about different paths and personalities! They rarely see or contact each other. And yet, when disaster strikes... I'm not going to spoil the story by saying anything more.

What about you? Do you have a sister? Is the relationship close, or not so good? I'll start. My sister and I--things could be better between us. (Still, we're much closer than Margaret, Rose and Quincy are at the start of My Sisters). But under the surface we love each other. Knowing that comforts and sustains us both. If God forbid, tragedy strikes, you can bet I'll be reaching for the phone and calling her post haste.

Looking forward to hearing about your sister(s), and thanks for stopping by!

For more blogs on sisters, check out the following blogs and dates:
Nov 4 Nov 6 Nov 7 Nov 11 Nov 12